Dear sir please consider

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:52 AM
Edited Nov 25, 2010 at 12:01 PM

You can consider

1.  Using REST  client library like RESTSharp.

External library knows more about use cases then your code.

I used outdated WCF REST Starter Kit Preview 2 for NumentaClient.

2.  Using Google API Client Library for Java through IKVM.

Provides means to update to new version of APIs easy. Usage of tested code.

I used it in echo-nest-ikvm and jen-ikvm-api.

Also I tried(seem successfully) to use T4  to tackle JVM lacks support of generics and generate code to convert Java types to .NET.  Other way seems to be using parsing Java code/bytecode and generate C# code.

3. Asynchrony

Look The future of C# and Visual Basic at PDC10 and read http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd997423.aspx - seems future standards which could be partially adopted now.

Also look at RX.

Do not try implement other async patterns.

4. Write unit tests so that  potential users of you library could  be sure that it is works.

Write tests. Tests show maturity of project.

5. Deprecate .NET 3.5.

Target Mono 2.8 and .NET 4.0

6. Write F# wrapper/interactive samples for scientists and analysts.

I would like to participate but I have analog projects needs my support:)

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:13 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm having a hard time understanding some of the points you've made for consideration.

1. RestSharp is a promising project, but they don't appear to have a stable release yet. I'll look into incorporating what they have once it's released.
  2. You are right, but this project is aimed at .NET developers not Java developers.
  3. Agreed, I would like to make the library asynchronous.
  4. Yep, tests are also on the to-do list. This project however, is not mature by any means and I make no claims otherwise.
  5. I felt it necessary to include .NET 3.5 since it's still in prevalent use.
  6. I don't know F# well enough to tackle this, but it sounds interesting.
Dec 15, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I just want add about 2

IKVM.NET is an implementation of Java VM for Mono and .NET.

It means it is possible to convert *.jar to *.dll and call that code from C# in .NET project by .NET developer.

One of the problems is that methods could return .NET implementation of java.util.Map<object,object> instead of Dictionary<string,double>. Conversion should be done manually.

Thanks